Wednesday, December 23, 2009

2010 Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Saturday, October 9
Ate lunch at Breckenridge Brewery. It had a very impressive selection of beers but I only had time for one, their Oatmeal Stout. It is located across the street from Coors Field.

Sunday, October 10
We hunted the property of the Diamond B Ranch.

11:15 a.m.
We saw over two dozen antelope between Lot #7 and Lot #10.

1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Lunch and siesta

5:10 p.m.
On state land, shot a yearling buck at 164 yards with a Ruger M77 Mark II in 7mm with a Federal Premium® 7mm Remington Magnum Rifle bullet, 160 g. NP.
ALWAYS CARRY HUNTING REGULATIONS!

Monday, October 11
Hiked into state land from the east. Saw does in the distance but no bucks.

Walking home, we stalked a nice buck who was over 400 yards away.

We saw a second buck from the road near the truck. We was about 325 yards and watched us from on the top of a hill. We were too tired to pursue.

1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Lunch and Siesta

4:00 p.m.
We did a spot and stalk in Lot 41 but we could not get in shooting position.

5:00 p.m.
Set up in Lot #8 on hill and waited. Moved to a rocky ledge and set up for a prone shot.

6:00 p.m.
Fired at a buck we had watched walk in from over 1,000 yards away. The distance was about 250 yards.

Learn the drop on your rifle. Practice at 200 yards for antelope using pie plates as targets.
However, for Ontario deer hunting 100 yards is all that matters.

Tuesday, October 12
Went with Jim and Jason Page from Augusta, Georgia and dropped off animals at Home On the Range Meat Processing in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Wednesday, October 13
Picked up trophy at Home on the Range and drove to Cody, Wyoming.

Dropped off trophy at Dewey Wildlife Studio in Cody.

Thursday, October 14
Visited the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. It is highly recommended and you can spend four hours +/- based on interest in firearms as they have the largest display of firearms in the world (over 2,500).

Saw a nice gunstock club. Saw a very nice one at Fanshawe.

Learned about the Sand Creek Massacre on November 29, 1864 after driving along the Sand Creek Massacre Trail.

Learned about the Battle of the Greasy Grass on June 25, 1876. Some call it the "Battle of Little Big Horn."

Friday, October 15
Went shotgun shopping.
Ruger Red Label 20 guage

Ate supper at Firehouse Brewing Company in Rapid City, SD.

Saturday, October 16
Went to the Mount Rushmore National Monument which is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. Maybe a bit over the top but highly receommended.

Then I went to the Crazy Horse Memorial which will probably be really good in a 100 year. I did enjoy the Indian Museum of North America


Tips from Fred:
Whenever practical, use your own rifle.

Antelope hunts are fantastic really for the money. And great experience for stalking and longish shooting. A very good antelope hunt will be around 1700-2000 USD and from 3-5 days. Monster antelope are 2-5 days, and 3500-4500 usd. You should book this hunt soonest. But be sure to do it with an outfitter who will hunt you on foot and not from the vehicle. A lot of bad press is on Antelope hunts, as they think you only can hunt from a vehicle. It is because the outfitter, or the client, decides to do so. It is a hunt I try to do every year, or at least every other year. You can do it in Alberta, but I find the price high for only average antelope. On average.
- 11/13/09

You cannot go wrong really with an antelope hunt. I have two outfits, plus myself, who you can consider. Both offer great hunts. Also, one in New Mexico. I will not be doing my hunt next year, as I do that every other year or so. But we can find you something for 2010 Also, keep in mind, the Wyoming antelope licenses MUST be applied for by mid-March. Feb 28th really. And keep in mind, there are hunting units that are less than 100% draw (there are 100+ units to apply for, so we need
to make sure we put you in on a hunt, in a unit and with an outfitter where you are 100% sure to draw the license and go hunting. I also suggest doing a buck and doe hunt, which gives you two hunts basically. Normally the does are more challenging than the bucks, as the rut will likely be underway. Then maybe a day of prairie dog
shooting. All excellent practice for your safari. And I always have shooting sticks when hunting antelope, so yo may get some good practice with them as well. By the way, hunt dates would be either end September or early October for Wyoming. Unless you go to New Mexico when it can be as early as August. Problem with New Mexico hunts, is that they are only 2 days. But this is why the Bucks are normally bigger. Less hunting pressure.
- 11/14/09

The hunt which I think would be a good fit for your interest is with Taft Love in southeastern Wyoming (Milliron T.J. Outfitting). It is in a beautiful part of the state and as it is a huge private ranch, +300,000 acres, the numbers and quality of game are very good. I have a hunter from Wisconsin, Don Kropidlowski, who has hunted with me a number of times in various places, booked with Taft on a combo whitetail/antelope hunt, but on 1-5 October 2010 dates. But I see the Jays are in town that weekend. Too bad as it would have been nice if you two could have hunted together. However, looking at your schedule, I would suggest a hunt starting on the 5th or 6th, for 4 or 5 days (I will have to confirm with Taft of course). You could travel to Wyoming (Cheyenne) on the 4th - Monday, start your hunt on the 5th to 9th, and then decide to visit more of Wyoming or even head back to Toronto for your Thanksgiving.

This is a 100% draw unit for the species in the state, so you will draw your licenses. I would expect you to be 100% on antelope. And it would be an excellent
warm up for your plains game safari.

The Pronghorn Antelope hunt is typically 3 full days, buck only, and is for 1,950 USD, with an additional 500 USD for adding the doe antelope, and this would make the hunt for 4 full days, guided 2 on 1. An additional day can be added for 250 USD to make it 5 days if you wish.

Going 1 on 1 guided, on either hunt, costs 100 usd per day more. As a general rule, I always recommend this, as you never know who your other hunter might be. And a incompatible or bad hunter, can ruin a great trip pretty fast. So 500 usd additional if you want a 1 on 1 guided hunt. This is very reasonable.

Hunts include all meals, accommodation, guiding, and field transportation. You will still have to add your licenses (2009 fees - 298 usd for antelope, 41 usd for a doe antelope, and 398 usd for deer and 10 usd conservation stamp) and trophy/meat processing. I will help you out with these details. We would apply for your licenses next month online with WY Game & Fish. We also need to discuss you bringing in a firearm.

As for getting there, Taft could arrange to pick you up in Cheyenne, WY (about a 2 hr drive) but you will likely want to arrive in Denver, CO and then it is best to rent a car for the week, and then drive to the ranch. This also gives you freedom to come and go when you please.


Mule deer are an additional fee of 1500 USD to the prices I gave you the other day for the whitetail/antelope combo. For Wyoming, you apply for deer in the unit, and can take either species. Cost is the same for the license – 328 usd.

- 12/15/09

Cabela's
Rapid City, SD (Exit 61 off I-90)
Sidney, NE (Exit 59 off I-80) (2:42 from the Denver airport)

Bass Pro
7970 Northfield Blvd, Denver, CO 80238 (21 minutes from the Denver airport)

Gander Mountain
14000 E. Jewell Avenue, Aurora, CO, 80012 (25 minutes from the Denver airport)



An outfitter cannot guarantee the hunting. He can guarantee the food and lodging and the number of fellow guests.