Sunday, October 11, 2009

Trip to Stratford, October 10, 2009

I drove to Stratford for a Shakespeare Doubleheader: Julius Caesar and Macbeth.

The Gardiner was closed and I stubbornly took Lakeshore: BIG MISTAKE! It took about an hour and a half to finally get on the Gardiner west of Humber. So I was still in Toronto two hours before the curtain went up.

I found the free municipal parking on St. Patrick by a quarter to two.

My seat was in the middle of the front row. It may have been a tad too close but there was neck strain and the action filled my field of vision. Also no one with a big hat sat in front of me.

I very much enjoyed Julius Caesar. It was set in a modern time but with very strange costumes. The story is well known, so there were no surprises but it was entertaining.

For the funeral scene, the chorus was in the audience and it made the crowd feel like a crowd. I almost felt an urge to shout "Caesar."

There was lots of blood and I felt I could even smell it. The body of Caesar bled during the funeral and the poor stage hand had to clean things up during intermission.

After it was over, I went book shopping. The Book Vault was closed for the funeral of the co-founder. That put my frustration of being stuck in traffic in perspective. I may have missed lunch but I was alive.

I went to Fanfare Books and made some notes but didn't buy anything.

On my walk over to Callan Books, I saw a bridal party. The bride had bare shoulders and was probably quite cold. I own more books than are for sale at that store and there is no reason to ever return.

Then I wandered around the garden, which was nice and I can only imagine how it looks in the summer in the sun instead of the fall under clouds.

The Sun Room was great as usual. I had a chowder and shrimp and scallops Thai Green Curry. I would make neither at home but both were enjoyable. This is my favourite restaurant in Stratford.

Then off to see the Scottish Play. The Festival bookstore had some clearance items, so I bought some cheap books on Shakespeare.

Macbeth was set in Africa in the 20th Century and I loved it. There was gun fire and explosions but they worked. Even the helicopter sounds made sense.

There were gasps when Fleance's throat was cut. He fell without uttering his famous line, "He has kill'd me, Mother."

The Porter found a lawyer, legislator and priest in the crowd instead of the usual characters.

The Three Sisters were interesting were less witches and more special women.

Colm Feore as Macbeth was great and we left the theatre with Jimi Hendrix's "All Along The Watchtower" basting and even that worked.

I felt empowered as I headed home. I grabbed a membership application. I might just sign up in support of such great theatre!

Remember to check welcometostratford.com before coming to town.