Saturday, June 26
I started the day with a Queen's Plate Workout Seminar at Woodbine.
I was there for three hours and loved it. We got a simple breakfast and watched the horses workout. This is something that you can do any day starting at 6 a.m.
Then Jim Bannon spoke to us about all the Queen's Plate horses. Makes me excited about the race. Plus I won a $10 voucher!
Drove to Hunting & Fishing Heritage Centre in Peterborogh.
It might be cool for kids but an average Bass Pro or Cabela's has a better display of animals. I didn't spend 20 minutes in there and I doubt I'll ever return.
I headed off to Sunrise Cafe for lunch. This is a French restaurant made with local ingredients. I started with an amazing, full-bodied French Onion Soup. My chicken breast and brie sandwich looked great was kinda dull. The fries were arranged like logs in a square and were lovely. The wee side salad was nice. Service was slow though. Fun place overall.
Supper was at Fall River Restaurant, 15 minutes west of Perth in Maberly. The food was amazing! I started with a wild mushroom salad and had a pan-seared duck. The service was great as I was basically alone and had a nice chat with the server.
Sunday, June 27
Upper Canada Book Fair at Ectotay
I saw presentations by Gavin Watt, Donald Graves and Rene Chartrand and got them to sign books I have by them. Then I heard novelists Kevin Gray, David Mulholland and Roy MacSkimming speak. I bought Kevin's novel.
Supper was at Maximilian Dining Lounge where I had their World Famous Schnitzel. It was huge and very good with lovely dumplings.
Then I went to DQ for a Peanut Buster Parfait.
Monday, June 28
The first place I visited in Prince Edward County was the County Cider Company. I had a quick tasting and really enjoyed the Peach cider. Then I had a simple lunch of cold Thai noodles. I had a nice chat with the couple at the neighbouring table and the server about places to visit in PEC. It is certainly worth a longer, return visit.
My final visit was to Barley Days Brewery at 13730 Loyalist Parkway. I got there late as they were closing but they gave me a great tasting and a quick tour.
I went to Black River Cheese and bought their Maple Cheddar. It is made with maple syrup and is delicious.